LOOK GREAT AT ANY AGE
Liposuction Surgery in Nashville, TN
ARE YOU A CANDIDATE FOR LIPOSUCTION?
- Do you have one or two areas that are out of proportion to the rest of your body?
- Have you tried diet and exercise and have areas that stubbornly refuse to budge regardless of your weight?
- Do you have your mother’s thighs or your father’s hip rolls?
If the answer to any of these questions is “yes,” then consider liposuction.
DON GRIFFIN M.D., FACS
Board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Don Griffin realizes that no two patients are exactly alike — and neither are his surgical plans. Learn more about his background and his unique approach.
WHICH LIPOSUCTION TECHNIQUE IS BEST?
While there are many types of liposuction, it’s important to know that study after study has shown there are no significant differences in the results achieved with any of the different types of liposuction. In other words, no one type of liposuction is better than the other. Common techniques include:
- Traditional liposuction uses a thin tube called a cannula to break up the fat and suction it away.
- Ultrasound-assisted lipoplasty uses ultrasonic energy to liquefy excess fat prior to surgical suctioning.
- Laser-assisted liposuction, such as Smartlipo®, is one of the many types that use various energy sources to dissolve the fat.
- LWater jet assisted lipo, such as Body Jet®, uses pulsating water to break up the fat.
Despite the company marketing hype, they all produce basically the same results with no measurable differences in outcomes. More important than the type of liposuction is how well the technique is performed. This is ultimately dependent upon the surgeon on the other end of the suction cannula.
HOW DO I CHOOSE A LIPOSUCTION SURGEON?
When considering liposuction, choose a board-certified plastic surgeon with a wealth of experience performing liposuction, such as Dr. Griffin. His extensive experience and training guide him in knowing how much fat to remove from which areas, which technology to use, and whether or not liposuction is the best treatment for the area of concern.
WHAT TO EXPECT
Liposuction is done on an outpatient basis so patients can go home in the care of their families, once they have recovered from anesthesia (unless, of course, the patient has undergone a large volume of liposuction or combined with other procedures). Areas that have been treated are placed in compressive garments to minimize swelling.
Helping our patients manage a speedy recovery is one of our primary goals. Most liposuction patients are up and about the day after liposuction. There will be some swelling and bruising after liposuction and recovery depend on the number of areas treated. Compression garments are worn for 4 to 6 weeks to aid the healing. Most of the swelling is gone in about 2 to 3 weeks, however, there will be small amounts of swelling which may last longer. After the initial swelling is gone, we recommend Spanx® Slim Cognito garments and include them in the price of your surgery. For men who have correction of gynecomastia, we offer compression undershirts, which are also included.
Dr. Griffin instructs his patients on how to perform deep massage on the areas that have been treated to help with the resolution of swelling and firmness. Most people can return to normal activities in 10 to 14 days.