Nashville Cosmetic Surgery: Don Griffin, MD
4322 Harding Pike #314
Nashville, TN 37205
Phone: (615) 321-1003
Monday-Thursday: 8 a.m.–5 p.m., Friday: 8 a.m.–1 p.m.
Pre/Post Injectable Treatment Instructions
- Avoid alcoholic beverages at least 24 hours prior to treatment (alcohol may thin the blood and increase the risk of bruising)
- Avoid anti-inflammatory/blood thinning medications, if possible for a period of 2 weeks before your treatment. Medications and supplements such as aspirin, vitamin E, ginkgo biloba, ginseng, St. John’s Wort, Omega 3/Fish Oil supplements, Ibuprofen, Motrin, Advil, Aleve and other NSAIDS have a blood thinning effect and can increase the risk of bruising and swelling after injections.
- Schedule your Dermal Filler and Botox appointment at least 2 weeks prior to any special event you may have scheduled, such as a wedding or a vacation. Results from Dermal Filler and Botox injections take approximately 4 to 7 days to start taking effect and swelling and bruising can be present for up to 2 weeks post injection.
- Discontinue your use of any Retin-A products 2 days before and 2 days after treatment.
- Reschedule your appointment at least 24 hours in advance if you have a rash, cold sore or blemish on the area to be treated.
- If you have a history of cold sores please let your provider know, they may put you on an anti-viral medication prior to treatment.
- Be sure to have a good breakfast, including food and drink before your procedure. This will decrease the chances of lightheadedness during your treatment.
- You are not a candidate if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- We do not recommend that you receive facial/ laser treatments or microdermabrasion after Botox injections for at least 2-4 days. Ask your provider if you are not sure about the time frame of certain services.
- It can take approximately 4 to 7 days for results to be seen. If the desired result is not achieved after 2 weeks of your treatment you may need additional Botox.
- Do not perform any activities involving straining, heavy lifting, or vigorous exercise for 6 hours after your treatment.
Post-Treatment Instructions Dermal Filler
It is important to remember that swelling and bruising can be normal side effects of receiving filler injections. To minimize these side effects we recommend the following:
- Avoid massage of the treated area.
- Avoid strenuous exercise for 24 hours.
- Avoid prolonged sun exposure or heat for 72 hours.
- Avoid consuming excess amounts of alcohol or salts to avoid excess swelling.
- If you have swelling you may apply a cool compress for 15 minutes each hour.
- Use Tylenol for discomfort and benadryl to alleviate swelling.
- Try to sleep face up and slightly elevated if you experience swelling.
- Arnica may be taken to help the bruising and swelling, we recommend starting at least 2 days prior to injections.
If you have any further questions or concerns please call us at 615-321-1003